Man do I love soup, and I mean I love all soups. Soups are also some of the easiest meals to create and cook because you can really use your imagination and as long as it is all ingredients that you enjoy, you really can not go wrong. The word soup actually means “a liquid dish normally made of boiling meat, fish and or vegetables in broth or stock”.
Well I took the basic “Onion Soup” and made it my own today by adding baby portobello mushrooms to it. I wanted something meaty in the soup but not actual meat, I also wanted the flavor and texture of something just a little different.
Fun Food Fact:
Did you know, one portobello mushroom has more potassium than a banana. Potassium helps the human body maintain normal heart rhythm, fluid balance, and muscle and nerve function.
Here is my recipe:
2 tbsp, ghee (to make AIP, use tallow or lard)
4 jumbo organic Spanish onions
1 jumbo organic sweet onion
24 oz’s baby portabella mushrooms
48 oz’s Beef Bone Broth (of course I get mine from Paleo On The Go)
2 tbsp, of freshly minced garlic
¼ cup of finely chopped parsley
1.5 tsp, sea salt for taste
1. In a large pot on medium heat melt your ghee or tallow.
2. After all of your onions and mushroom are completely sliced however you would like them and the pot is nice and hot, drop the onions in the pot and sauté until they almost become translucent.Sprinkle your sea salt in at this point to help draw the water out of the onions.
3. Add in your minced garlic.
4. Add in your mushrooms and beef bone broth, lower the heat and allow to simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour. After about 30 minutes, add your chopped parsley.
5. Ladle the soup into a bowl top with some parsley or chives/green onions and enjoy.