You have inflammation!
You have headaches!
If you are like me you have experienced these symptoms often if not daily. Also, if like me you have reached for that oh so precious bottle of pain killers, motrin, Ibuprofen, anti-inflammatory capsules or even the all famous Celebrex if your doctor has prescribed that. All of these are better known as NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug).
Before going on, I want to clarify that I am not a doctor, scientist or chemist and my views on this subject are simply from my own personal research, reading and personal knowledge. I am not saying that you should not follow your doctors orders (but challenge them,,,that is another blog). I am not saying that you should not take NSAIDs at all and will even go as far as saying I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking a Motrin for the occasional headache or minor aches and pains. This article however, is to inform you of the harm that these so called “Miracle” drugs can have if taken on a regular basis and long term. I also want to remind everyone that I have Lupus, RA and Fibromalagia and I suffer still from the pain daily caused by these autoimmune diseases. I am committed to myself and you to find alternative ways to heal our bodies naturally and through the use of Real Food.
The reason I wanted to research this topic and write about it is because I know so many people who have wondered why when I still have so much pain at times I will not just simply roll over and start popping these prescribed medicines that my doctors want me to take. They are harmful!
- Cartilage Damage: Even though these magic pills help to relieve the pain of inflammation they also, inhibit the creation of new cartilage. It has been proven in two case studies that I read about that people who actually took NSAIDs on a regular basis had worse conditions with their arthritis than those who took nothing.
- What are we doing to our LIVER? Pain killers cause ulcers, stomach bleeding, liver damage and liver failure so much so that they have been linked to over 450 deaths per year and have been the leading cause in liver transplants.
- Vitamin C: Our bodies do not store or create this vitamin, therefore we are required to get it through food. Vitamin C is needed to support normal growth and development. NSAIDs deplete vitamin C and people who have been reported to have lower levels of vitamin C have also been reported to be more likely to have joint pain and more likely to get arthritis.
- Folate: One of the main functions of Folate is to enhance the body’s natural metabolism and promote and restore cell growth. Folate is especially needed for pregnant woman and their unborn babies because it helps to prevent birth defects and brain or spinal cord defects. Unfortunately our bodies are already naturally low in Folate. By taking NSAIDs we actually further the depletion of Folate. This can lead to anemia, dysplasia and high homocysteine levels. High homocysteine levels can lead to strokes and heart attacks.
- Diverticulitis: This is inflammation of the colon which causes pain and disturbance of normal bowel functions. Studies have proven that men that take NSAIDs two or more times per week are significantly at a higher risk to develop Diverticulitis. Some studies have proven that the numbers and risks are just as high for women.
- Ask your doctor for alternative options.
- Seek help/consultation from a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner.
I hope that this information has helped you and as always stay tuned for my upcoming blogs & recipes.